Stare into the light and imagine yourself standing inside this dark tunnel.
You subconscious mind knows exactly what this is, but right now you have no recollection of everything, but two — the feeling of heaviness and the hope to be freed from it.
Spoiler alert: You die in the end.
That’s what they say don’t they? We all know that that is the inevitable ending we all have. No choosing between two doors. Just one tunnel to go through, one light to go to, one exit for all of us.
And yet, people still get scared of the tunnel.
Am I scared to die? I asked this to myself.
No, not really.
I’m scared of what would happen to the people I’d leave behind. I’m scared of the pain that I’d leave them. Scared of the plans I’ve ruined for them. Scared of disappointing others who spent a lot of time paying for my education, my food and my necessities. Scared of leaving people who spent a lot of time loving me.
Aren’t we all?
I think that’s why dying is scary. Being biologically dead (aside from the short gasping for air part before that) doesn’t hurt.
As you all know, I’m a nurse. I see death all the time. The ones looming around a patient and the ones who’s already clenched its target.
My first time was heart wrenching, I cried (inside the restroom). The next was traumatic and the next ones…were expected. I was immunized.
I was sad for the family members, the others who got left behind. I condoled with them. I sympathized with their loss. But I was numb.
One second I’m giving mortem care, the next I’m wiping vomit from another.
We aren’t robots, but the only way to get through it is to get through it.
And that’s when I learned to accept the fact about life and death.
One dies here and another life springs forth there. It’s just there, waiting for all of us. One by one, out thread is cut and we cease to exist.
We all die. Oops, spoiler again.
So it’s a cliché but, I would still say it: Live your life as if it’s your last.
Because one day, it will be.
Accept the fact that when its time, its time. You’re up.
And the fear of leaving others behind?
Let them know that you are not scared of leaving. Let them know that you have already accepted the fact that your life has run its course. Well, whether you’ve already accepted it or not, I think it’s best to not burden them with it anymore.
I know that I may not be entirely correct here. But I’m sure that greeting death like an old friend would free you from the fear.
Now let me ask you, are you scared to die?
Right now you have no recollection of everything, but two — the feeling of heaviness and the hope to be freed from it.
Will you keep walking?
Daily Prompt – Bookworms : Grab the nearest book. Open it and go to the tenth word. Do a Google Image Search of the word. Write about what the image brings to mind.
// Inspired by Mitch Albom’s The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Other posts regarding Bookworms:
- Well, Well. | Godrick Gnomish
- My very own Land’s End | A Teacher’s Blog from Land’s End
- Gone | Daily Prompt: Bookworms | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms in a Bookish Home | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: Books | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Found on Road Side Dead [Fix or Repair Daily] « RPMAS
- Thoth: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms « Vicariously Poetic
- The tenth word. | Crossroads
- I | thoughtsofrkh
- S. Thomas Summers | Why I Visit Books
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Uncle Spike’s Adventures
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | lena de almeida
- Perched on the branch of life | mostlytrueramblings
- Floating | Motherhood and Beyond
- Look Before You Jump . . . To Conclusions | meanderedwanderings
- Through Big Thompson Canyon | Conversations
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms « Mama Bear Musings
- A Pile of (Old) Books | Shilpa Sharma Online
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms “Conversation” | Let There be Peace on Earth
- My nearest book | Life & Times
- Wanted: Help | To Pursue Happiness
- What have we here then? | dawnyhosking
- Confessions of a Former Bookworm | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Penguin | Mara Eastern’s Personal Blog
- Scholarship | crookedeyebrows
- Why is everyone gettin’ jiggy with Will? | The Unthemed Nook
- Buzz Light-Year | The Jittery Goat
- thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- Bookworms and summer | Frankenasian.com
- Morning | STAIN
- I can’t believe I’m writing this! | Neva Samaki
- Daily Prompt; Bookworms/ The Daily Post | terry1954
- BEAT IT | Romelga writes
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Break Those Chains | Tony’s Texts
- Assume | the many facets of donna
- Daily Prompt: Enclosed, But Not Trapped | Creative Mysteries
- The Tenth Word is Doorway | Virginia Views
- Riches | Better Than Reality
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms – The Last Out | IF I ONLY HAD A TIME MACHINE
- Spinning dust | shame
- The Butcher | Flowers and Breezes
- Red Lake | Going New Places!
- Speaking volumes | Sue’s Trifles
- Comedy….the tenth word. (wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- •◦ ђave, ђave ภot ◦• | The RunningFather Blog
- Love Letter to Fanny Brawne | In Harmony
- Daily Prompt: Intended | Personal Sentiments
- Oh Pithy Me
- Terror Within Her | Oh Pithy Me
- Daily Prompt: Reader | lifebeinggirly
- Words, Words, Words… | Tommia’s Tablet
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | BulgingButtons
- Bookery Books | The Nameless One
- The Key to the Treasure | and yadda yadda yadda…i made aliyah
- All Roads Lead to Rome | mardmood
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | I am Super Istar
- Here’s Johnny… | Just Visiting This Planet
- Airborne Bookworms… | The Rider
- Bookworm | Processing the life
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | cjsmiths
- Daily Prompt: Bookworm (and it ended up to be a review on the book!) | reyoflight
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | My Atheist Blog
- Being a Teacher | A mom’s blog
- Parts | Sincerely, Ms. Roberts
- Books | Rebecca Barray
- Superman Espresso: Squeezing honey from your left Armpit. | Janey Macken Street!
- Across… | On Gorgeousness
- Daily Prompt | Bookwurms – Nathalie Blogt
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Resident Alien — Being Dutch in America
- Verona | viver para contar
- Earwig | Girlie Groove
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms -Source | Inner Quest Wanderer
- Where? | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Steve Says….
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | The Dork Life
- Seeking adventure | 2 times pink
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Danny James
- Daily Prompt: Bookworm | Ellyn Baker-Discovering Both Sides of the Story
- lets ride the wave of the unknown artist babe | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | The Exploits of a Bibliophile
- Big | With Faraway Eyes
- Bookworm | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Wordless | momasteblog
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Heron There & Everywhere
- Once… | My [redacted] Journey
- WordPress.com Daily prompt – Bookworms | Super Book Worm
- Daily Prompt: Books, glorious books | @ The West Gate
- single-handedly Dahl | Her Broken Nibs
- Hushed | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms? | luvsiesous
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Ramblingsofahomeschoolmomma
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Vagabond
- Books | We Live In A Flat
- A Wrinkle In Time | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Verona | The Silver Leaf Journal
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | 1Q84 | Incognito
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | MythRider
- Fatal Sun | loveletterstoaghost
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms: Historian | MythRider
- against your body, my | y
- Bookworms | My Kaleidoscope
- All ‘ABOUT’ Me! | Life with Tess
- Daily Post: bookworm and books | It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see – Thoreau
- ALONE!! | amateurxpress
- Am I really much of a bookworm anymore? | Rob’s Surf Report
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | CAN | J♥niCe in WonderL♥nD
- Spoiler Alert: You Die in the End | Jotting Down Life
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | There is no wisdom like frankness
- …And… | An Upturned Soul
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Cookiebookies
- What do you wear to a poetry reading? | sltimewellwasted
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Writing from the Daily Prompt: Bookworms. Or, Recursive Writing About Writing. | The Adventures of Leo Tarvi
- Matches | Fi’s Thoughts
- Daily Prompt- Give Me 5 | awritersfountain
- Playing with words | Longeyesamurai’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: Bookworm | Wordz on a Page
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Notes to Honor Good
- Bookworms: Frenglish | Extraordinary Living Blogs
- Playing With Junk Mail | C.B. Wentworth
- Once upon a time… | The Otter in my Jotter
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | Edward Cares
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms/Staying in Focus: Books: My Timeline | Staying in Focus
- I’m not an english major… | Kaitie Hart’s Blog
- Mindless Crazy Ramblings | Daily Prompt: Bookworms
- Bookworms – Google Doodle | tjbarkerseattle
- Daily Prompt: Bookworms | huntprayerpoems
- Land, One Extra Ordinary Word | Little Grandma
- Stay | Edward Hotspur